Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Getting down to business...

I began to do searches for simple living blogs, and other sources of information and found this:

Simple Living Manifesto: 72 Ideas to Simplify Your Life

              http://zenhabits.net/simple-living-manifesto-72-ideas-to-simplify-your-life/
                                                   by: Leo Babauta

I am going to tackle the first the on the list and it may not be as easy as it seems..

1.Make a list of your top 4-5 important things. What’s most important to you? What do you value most? What 4-5 things do you most want to do in your life? Simplifying starts with these priorities, as you are trying to make room in your life so you have more time for these things.

     This is tough for me but I am going to put myself as first priority.  I have so much to do in terms of the divorce, my education, supporting my family, and quite frankly, my sanity.  So. I am going to make a conscious effort to work on me.  My kids would be a close second.  Right now, at this time, my third priority would have to be securing some type of permanent home for us.  Technically...we are homeless (my ex to be lives in the house with my 14 yr. old daughter who chose to stay with him).  My salary isn't enough to support myself, much less me and 3 kids.  I get no money from him at this point.  So, creative money making, saving money, etc. Another priority for me would be keeping up with my crafting ( I do stained glass, sew, jewelry making, soap making, etc.) This is part of who I am and it can provide income as well.  Striving to simplify my life is a priority.  This includes more natural ways of living, eliminating as many chemicals from my life as I can--in foods, in products I use on my body, in my home, my yard, etc.  Growing foods.  Service to my community, even in small ways, is important to me.  One priority that I didn't list, mostly because for me it just is and always will be at the top of the list, is God.
So my list will look something like this:

                                  1. ME
                                  2. My kids and family.
                                  3. Securing a home and new life for us.
                                  4. My crafting.
                                  5. Simple, natural living.


This list may change. I don't know.  But this is a starting place.  I will begin to explore each of these and how I can make them priorities. I will create goals and objectives for each to keep myself accountable.   Enough said.  Time for action!

2.  Evaluate your commitments:

      The article says to list all commitments, work, hobbies, side jobs, kids commitments, etc. etc.  I am going to list the commitments I  feel are absolutely necessary. 

     1. Work: at this point I don't have to bring home or worry about work at home. I get to go, do my job
          and come home.
     2. Church: Honestly, I can only commit to attending right now.  I gave up doing a newsletter, teaching
          Sunday School, and taking on other responsibilities, but sometimes do them when asked.
     3. School: This is a big commitment right now.  There is no way around it.
     4. Kids: I provide transportation to activities and occasionally attend concerts.
     5. Crafting/Hobbies:  This is part of who I am.  I will pare them down to a few of my favorites.
     6. Music: I play flute and piano.  This brings me joy.
     7. Family

I am going to think on these a bit so that I can be more specific. 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment